Thursday, 25 October 2012

My first tentative steps in 3D animation.

I've spent the last month and a half learning how to use Maya and it has proven very difficult. Both technically and skill-wise I've reached the very edges of my knowledge, its been a pretty tough nut to crack but I'm getting there.

I started with a simple bouncing ball, then took it to an obstacle course (standard stuff for learning the ropes):


I then moved on to using character rigs. Specifically the wonderful Morpheus rig from Josh Burton. I went straight to walk cycles, traditionally both the hardest and the easiest thing to do in animation. I started with a male angry walk:


and then I did a lady walk:


Last and probably least, I decided to dive a bit further than my skills could take me and spent far too long working on making Morpheus lift a heavy object. This animation was intended to be much longer and in the rougher stages, it was. I had to abandon most of it however because rectifying my mistakes would have been a mammoth task. I think my poses were a little too weak at the start, causing big issues later on.


...and that's my beginning steps in Maya! I've got a long way to go yet but it should be relatively fun and extremely useful in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment